Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Let's Take It Up to Speed

So...long story short. I charted. I may or may have not ovulated. We did it. I prayed. I took pregnancy tests. I charted some more. I may or may not have ovulated. We did it. I prayed. I charted. I spotted, and spotted and spotted.  After 22 days of bleeding and spotting, I was back in the doctor's office.  One ultrasound later, Dr. P discovered that I have a large cyst on my ovary. 


The next development makes me want to cry. Dr. P asked me to get back on BC for one month to suppress the cyst, since it is unlikely I'll ovulate with such a large cyst. If all goes well, the cyst will shrink, and when I start my cycle after the BC, we'll be able to start Clomid. Ugh. This is not going according to plan.


Clomid (clomiphene) is used to induce ovulation; it works similarly to estrogen, a female hormone that causes eggs to develop in the ovaries and be released. Clomiphene comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day for 5 days, beginning on or about day 5 of the cycle. If you are going to be successful with Clomid, it is most likely to happen in the first three months. Most doctors take patients off of Clomid after the fourth month, as it increases the risk of ovarian cancer. There is a slightly higher risk of twins (about 10%), and a smaller risk of triplets or more.  (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000752)


Dr. P is not a fertility specialist. She's an amazing OBGYN that I stumbled across. She promises not to waste my time, and let me know when what's going on is beyond her knowledge. I have an appointment with the big fertility endocrinologist in town in October. I've heard he is amazing, but hope I'll be able to cancel that appointment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment